Q: You mentioned before that there are things I SHOULDN'T do while I'm trying to buy a house. Like what?
A: After you get your pre-approval, you want to be VERY careful to not do anything that would change the status of your approval. These are the "10 Commandments" that your should follow during the home buying process:
1) Thou shalt not change jobs, become self-employed, or quit your job.
2) Thou shalt not buy a new vehicle or other major expense.
3) Thou shalt not use credit cards excessively or let current accounts fall behind.
4) Thou shalt not spend money you have set aside for closing.
5) Thou shalt not omit debts or liabilities from your loan application
6) Thou shalt not let anyone pull your credit.
7) Thou shalt not make any large deposits without checking with your loan officer on how to properly document it.
8) Thou shalt not change bank accounts.
9) Thou shalt not co-sign a loan for anyone.
10) Thou shalt not pay off any collection accounts or charge offs prior to closing.